Sunday, January 8, 2012

Persimmon Fruit Salad


My kids just love fruit, I mean LOVE fruit. I have, in the past just chopped up some apples and mixed it with berries and grapes and they are fine with that. But for me it is kind of boring. I like fruit too but there is only so much I can have plain before I am done.

I was excited to see a new kind of fruit in our CSA box for the last few weeks. Persimmons! I had never had one before and was baffled on how to eat/prepare it. I asked at the Farmers Market the next week and they said "Just eat it like an apple". I thought that was nice and easy and rushed home to try my new fruit. Oh my I did not care for it at all. The sin felt weird (I was told that the skin was eatable), the taste kind a funky, and the feel of it was just odd like a really fine mushy sandpaper. No way was I going to feed this to my kids. I was dismayed that the next few weeks our boxes always contained more persimmons.

I didn't want to keep throwing them out so I set out on a mission. Find a way to eat this and like it because it seemed like for the winter we were stuck with 4-5 of them. I tried a persimmon flan...way to sweet and kinda strange. And then I happened on a Persimmon fruit salad. BINGO! It was good. Just the right amount of sweet and tart. Oh and the kids devoured it! Winner!! Here is the recipe plus a little of my own because I love berries.


Persimmon Fruit Salad
1 persimmon (I peel it)
1 apple (any kind will work)
1 tsp honey ( I use buckwheat but any will do)
1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice ( I love the tart and use up to half a lemon)

Cut the apples and persimmon up small. Mix in the honey and lemon juice and there you go.

If you want to add some strawberries and blueberries. Add a little extra honey and lemon juice and that's it! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment